Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Paticcasamuppada: Practical Dependent Origination

In connection with my Sept. 4 post, I have discovered a book entitled Paticcasamuppada: Practical Dependent Origination by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu (a Thai Buddhist monk). The Chinese version of the book can be found on-line at http://www.gaya.org.tw/publisher/fain/pdo/abstract.htm

Being interested in the pratityasamutpada than any other Buddhist topics, I can say I am extremely fortunate to discover the book. The information (or should I say knowledge?) Buddhadasa Bhikkhu presented are most enlightening.

To me the Buddha Dharma is concerned with two things only: the truth of suffering (dukkha) and the cessation of suffering. Many people choose to embrace the Four Noble Truths and the Eight-Fold Paths in their practice, while I prefer to focus on the pratityasamutpada. Upon reading Buddhadasa Bhikkhu's book, I am glad I do.

I am still digesting and meditating on the contents of the book. I would like to share them with you - if I could (!) - because I have to translate them into English and the subject is so profound. I am also entertaining the idea of creating a new Web page to put some excerpts I believe are essential to the practice.

Oh, in case you didn't come from my Web page at http://www.geocities.com/impermanenceofdharma, please visit it.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home